Monday, December 1, 2008

Twilight

I had read the first three books, so on Thanksgiving, Julie, Kara and I were off to see the movie. I really liked it! Actually, in my humble opinion, it's much better than the book. NO WHINING!!!! My biggest complaint with the books is the pages and pages and pages of Bella's internal whining. Too much for an old woman who has lived through three teenage girls and currently teaches a boatload of them. And, though I have already expressed this sentiment to some, let me now put it on the record: the writing in Twilight and its sequels is mediocre at best. These are NOT classic novels. While the author does have a fairly compelling story, she really has enough good plot for about two books and the editors/publishers/money grubbers have stretched the series to four books. Too, too many pages of no action. Another confession, I skim and/or skip when the action wanes. Kara says that you must read every word, but I say there are no word police and if it's boring (unless you're reading for school, then you must read it all) skip it! There, I'll bet you never though you'd hear that from an English teacher. However, as a teacher and a professional writer, I just don't have the time or patience to wade through badly written, boring material. There are too many great books for me to waste my time on dreck.

However, don't think I'm consigning Twilight to the dreck bin. It is better than that. And, after seeing the movie on Thursday evening, I spent all day Friday reading the last book in the series just to find out how it all ends. (skipped the boring parts, though).

3 comments:

Jenni said...

That's so funny because I didn't find Bella that whiny. I would also rather read Twilight than Jane Austen any day. I think the classics are boring and that is why I am ducking as you throw a well written book my way.

-- I realize that you are almost assuredly right in your opinion and I am just still a middle schooler in my literature tastes.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Going to see Twilight was fun. I'm glad that you liked it!

Jenny said...

I TOTALLY agree with your summation. I think I liked everyone a lot better wihtout all of Stephenie Meyer's strange banter. Plus, Bella is so much more likable when you can't hear her inner thoughts. And I'm with you too on the dreck...it's not quite dreck, but not quite literature. So skip the boring parts.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!