Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A low key Christmas

Hmmm......How to describe this year's festivities? First a bit of background--I was sick for the first three weeks of December. Oh, I made it to work (only missed one day) but I hacked and coughed my way through the period when it was "beginning to look a lot like Christmas." I couldn't sing a note, felt dreadful and did absolutely no decorating. I just went to work, tried to talk with my pitiful, croaking voice, and went home to rest. So, this was the year of no tree, no decorations, presents wrapped in gift bags, but not Christmas paper, and no Christmas cards. I feel a bit like a failure, but there it is. Then, once I felt better, I went to Utah to drive home with Lauren. By the time we got home, decorating seemed like kind of waste of time, plus it was very cold, I'm a wimp and I didn't want to go to the storage unit, get everything out, and freeze to put up a tree for only a few days. Plus, there was one more compelling reason to forgo the tree--Zeke--our wonderful, impish kitten. I know that Julie fought Bear over her tree, and Karen and Bob found their Jack perched on top like the Christmas star, so I decided that was the final, and perhaps most compelling, reason to skip the tree this year. I may be called a Scrooge, but that's that.

So, we enjoyed Julie's tree and opened presents over at her house on Christmas morning. The boys were so much fun to watch--their enthusiasm more than makes up for the lack of it in some of the older folks. I gave the girls cash, because I can't seem to pick out anything they like any more. Julie and Kara were thrilled --they love to shop, but Lauren, not so much.....Oh well.......

I know it's unfair, but I got the best Christmas presents. Mike bought me a bunch of beautiful shirts at Jones New York--they have gorgeous clothes, he loves to shop, and he doesn't feel guilty spending money. I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun buying them for myself. We also bought a new car--it's another PT Cruiser, this time in white with automatic transmission. He will actually drive it for the next 10 months or so as he attends a police academy in Mesquite, but after that, it's mine. Kara gets the purple PT to use now and to take to college, and Mike will keep the truck and his motorcycle. I'll drive the truck while he attends the academy. The new car is beautiful and if you're going to buy one, now seems to be the time, better deals are available now than have been offered in many years.

What else...I finally joined the 21st century and got a page on Facebook. My main goal was to keep up with my students who have graduated. I just love those kids and then they graduate and completely disappear. This way, I can keep track of at least a few of them. I've already received several emails from former students and hope to find more of them as time goes by. I also tracked down two of my favorite people from high school and have heard from both of them. It's amazing to think we've been out of high school for more than 30 years. But hey, I still get to hang out with the kids and have fun while doing it. I know I've said it before, but teaching is the most wonderful thing I've ever done. I love the kids and I am blessed to know them.

So, now we march on to 2009. I've worked out my goals and I'll post those next. I figure if I tell everyone about them, maybe I can get some encouragement to actually accomplish them.....

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Don't feel bad about being a Scrooge. I decided I could only do (and only wanted to do) so much this year and that I wasn't going to feel guilty about it. Everyone else's Christmas cards were displayed prettily on my mantle and I thought that maybe next year I would get some mailed out as well.
Family is the most important thing and most of yall were able to be together.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

There was rattling of my tree again last night as Bear was playing with it. And seeing as though Zeke is quite a bit bigger than Bear is he could have caused a lot of damage to your tree. There's always next year. And your new car is very nice. I think I need a turn taking it for a drive.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!