Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

First--I'm so thankful that Lauren made the trip to and from California safely. Against my advice (amazing that you cannot pray away other people's agency, isn't it?) she decided to spend Thanksgiving in San Diego with her old friend Kat. Off she went. traveling 700 miles each way. The trip south was quite eventful. She called me from Victorville, California, to let me know that one of her back tires was completely shredded. Lovely, my beautiful daughter is stranded, alone, on the side of the highway more than 1,000 miles away from me. Luckily, we have the road hazard insurance on our cars, so she called GEICO, who promised to send help within a half hour. The California Highway Patrol also stopped to help; she got the donut tire put on, was advised to drive no more than 60 miles on it, and she went on her way, searching for a tire shop as she went. Unfortunately, no shop appeared, and about 100 miles along the way she stopped at a gas station and realized that the other back tire was shot. So, another call to GEICO followed by a tow to Kat's house. The insurance only covers a five mile tow, not a 60 mile trek, so it was an expensive outing, but she was safely there (albeit with one donut tire and two shredded ones). She had a lovely Thanksgiving feast with Kat and crew, then bought two new tires on Friday. Thank goodness, the return trip to Provo was totally uneventful--no problems at all, and now she's back where she belongs. Mike said that perhaps the whole thing was a blessing in disguise--she and I could have had the tire problems later this month when I fly up to Salt Lake City and then drive her home--to stay this time. It was a worrisome time for old mom, though. I pray and pray and pray, but somehow I seem to lack faith because I still worry about my kids (and grandkids). I'm just thankful, thankful, thankful that she made it back safely. And I hope the two of us have a much less exciting trip Dec. 19 and 20.

Our Thanksgiving celebration was lovely. The food turned out well--I even managed to make pretty good cornbread dressing this year. It's not as good as grandma's yet, but I'm steadily improving. Julie, Kelly and Shannon joined Mike, Kara and I and Nana came, too. We also invited our friend Joe (he's Mike's home teaching companion) and an old friend, Jeff, with his seven-year-old daughter, Holly. We had a fine meal, good company, great conversation--what more could you ask? Then, Julie, Kara and I topped off the day with an outing to the movies. It was perfect.

In fact, the whole week was restful and lovely. I had the entire week off, so I relaxed, read, slept, accomplished almost nothing, but had a great time doing it. I'm very thankful for vacations and time to be still.

Other things I'm thankful for:
Today Mike helped pull a man from a burning car. The accident happened right in front of him on the way home from work and he, along with two other motorists, ran to rescue the unconscious man from his burning car. I'm thankful to have such a good, kind, brave husband.

Terrific, fun, thoughtful daughters. I am blessed with three of the world's best.

Grandsons!!! Two are Terrific!

Many dear friends who love me despite my many faults and shortcomings.

The gospel of Jesus Christ and the freedom to worship in peace.

A career that fills and fulfills me. I love my students and I am blessed to be a teacher.

Meeting and writing about endlessly fascinating people and programs at UT Arlington.

The opportunity to travel all over the world.

Beauty in all it's forms--art, music, literature, marvelous creations brought to us by fellow children of our Heavenly Father.

This wonderful world--every creature and creation testifies of Christ.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Joe who makes balloon animals? I'm glad he had someplace warm and loving to go; he was always my favorite Tetris buddy. And yay for Mike! give him a big hug for me.

Jenni said...

That's an impressive list of gratitudes!

Jenny said...

Are you KIDDING ME? A BURNING CAR? Way to go, Super Mike! Glad lauren's okay and that you had a great Thanksgiving!

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!