Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Learning to be a better teacher

The model we're using this year for lesson design involves five parts: Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend and Evaluate. I'm not going to get too far into teacherese here, but I thought you might help me with some Engage activities. The basic idea here is to start class with something that will "hook" the class into the lesson, get them thinking and "engaged" with the material. The activity can be almost anything. For one class, my fellow AP Lit teacher and I will be reviewing Crime and Punishment, which students are to have read over the summer (delightful summer reading, don't you think?). I'm going to ask our school resource officer (a bonafide peace officer) if he can or will come into class and "arrest" someone. (I'm not quite sure if he is allowed to pretend something like that, but I'm going to ask). I think that would get their attention and get them engaged, don't you? We could then proceed into a discussion of the current criminal justice system and the segue into a discussion/review of the book.

I have to come up with "engage" activities for every class, so any clever, fun things you remember from teachers in your past (or present) are greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I tried to post a comment, and I think Blogger ate it. If it's sitting in your "to be approved" pile, just ignore this one.

My favorite teacher in 9th grade [we were still in junior high] addressed us as Mr. Surname and Miss Surname, though I suppose today it would have to be Ms. Surname.

I think the way you stand at the door and greet your students accomplishes much the same thing. It's a rite of passage between the Life of the Hall, and the Life of the Mind.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!