Saturday, August 2, 2008

And so we begin

I've been thinking about a blog for a long time, and have finally decided to try to begin. I have so much that I need to write (especially all about the trip to Europe in June) that it seems overwhelming, but one must start somewhere.

So, first a review of my lovely day today. This morning I picked up my dear friend A and off we went to see the Impressionist exhibit at Fort Worth's Kimbell Art Museum. This exhibit, from the Chicago Art Institute, features some outstanding, amazing works by favorites like Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Renoir, Pissaro, and all the greats. My only regret is that they didn't bring Seurat's "La Grande Jette" along for the tour to Fort Worth, but apparently it does not travel. (I actually searched for it on my first visit to the Musee D'Orsay in Paris, but soon learned that it lives in Chicago. Apparently to see that one, I'll have to make a pilgrimage to the windy city). Anyway, A has a son who is an artist and we had a great time looking and talking our way through the museum. I bought a membership to the Kimbell this year just so that I can make multiple trips to this exhibition--and every time I go, I can bring one guest with me--for free!

After the art fix, we went to see my dear, bestest friend, L, who has moved to a darling duplex in Fort Worth. While I regret that she no longer lives as close to me as she once did, I'm thrilled that she is right next door to all the great art museums as well as some delicious restaurants, and one of the world's most fascinating foodie haunts, Central Market. I'll be heading her way about once a month, just to enjoy the culture in her neighborhood.

In other news, I'm getting geared up for the new school year, which pretty much starts for me on Monday, as I'll be in a teacher's academy for three days, then in AP training another day this week. The following week is free, but after that, teachers report to school and it all starts anew. This year I'm teaching AP English Language and Composition (a rhetoric course that focuses on argumentation and nonfiction) and AP Literature and Composition (a course that is all fiction and poetry). They are very different classes, and I've taught AP Language for three years, so I'm not too worried about it. The Lit class is a bit more problematic. I'm excited to do it, but I always feel a bit anxious when I try new things. However, I know I'm going to learn a lot and have a great time with the kids. I love, love, love teaching high school and having the very brightest kids in my classes is a privilege and blessing. I'll have both juniors and seniors this year and I'm really looking forward to the challenge and excitement.

I have also been honored to take on the responsibility of being our department chair for the coming year. It will be another big challenge, but I have been so gratified by the support other teachers have already given to me. Several have said that they knew it would be me and one told me that he feels I'm the right person for the job. I really appreciate their vote of confidence.

I guess that will be all for now. I'll try to get more done in the coming days.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

One more non-blogger won over to the dark side, bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

When you've accumulated a bunch of images from your recent jaunt and want to spiff up your blog with a custom header [come on, all the other kids are doing it!], Secondborn is your go-to gal. She is doing *amazing* things with her digital scrapbooking.

The tomatoes and basil are all planted. And I don't have to go anywhere else until church tomorrow, huzzah!

Adding you to my bloglines so that I'll get notified next time you post.

Shannon said...

Oh! I am so glad you started a blog! I love your voice and I am excited to hear about your Europe trip!

Jenni said...

I always thought you were a great seminary teacher so I imagine it is only natural that you would be a great school teacher.

Sherry said...

Thanks Jenni--you're more than welcome to come sit in on my classes sometime--high school is a fun place (once you no longer have to actually attend, anyway).

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I heard that you saw Brian when you were out on Saturday?
I can't wait for my turn to be able to go to the exhibit in Fort Worth.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!