Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back to class for teachers

This week I've been going to classes where people are teaching me how to teach. I know, it sounds a bit boring, but it's actually been really interesting. Today we worked in groups preparing a lesson to share with the entire class (which consists of our entire English department). I'm really pleased with all our new teachers--they are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and ready to take on the challenge of teaching today's high school students. Our student body, like most urban schools these days, is fairly challenging. They're good kids, but a bit tough on the outside. You have to work your way into their hearts and then they'll do most anything for you. I've been very fortunate in that I am naturally a friendly, easy-going person and I REALLY like hanging out with teenagers. They're fun to talk to and seeing one of them "get" what I'm trying to teach always reinforces my conviction that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing. Advanced placement English presents tremendous challenges for students--the work is hard--but their satisfaction and pride in themselves when they master it are palpable. It's always a great moment for them and for me, too.

It's hot, hot, hot here in Texas these days. Today we had a "cool" front and only hit about 98 degrees. After summers like this, I freely admit, my favorite season is fall. Finally someone upstairs turns on the A/C and we can go outdoors without danger of instantaneous heatstroke. (I don't much like spring--all it does is yell "Summer is coming" to me). The older I get, the less I like the heat, but I love, love, love the cool of fall. (We don't have autumn in Texas, as Jerry Flemmons says, autumn is a marketing ploy of fall-foliage-mecca New England, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kodak). (By the way, if you haven't read Jerry Flemmon's commentaries on Texas, you gotta. I have the book, just ask).

I'm not sure anyone is reading this yet, but maybe someday there will be someone..............

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Yes, I'm reading; you're on my Bloglines, and they tell me when you've posted. And yes, I'm interested in borrowing the book.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I think I have been subconsciously influenced. Fall is my favorite season, too, because I feel like spring is when we have to get hot again while fall is when we get to cool off.

Bonnie said...

Hi! I just arrived back in town last night from our Sea World vacation. I saw your comment on Julie's blog that you have a blog, so I decided to catch up this morning. I have bookmarked your blog, so you'll have at least one avid reader!

Lauren said...

Mom, I'm reading your blog. Even if no one else is, I'm on top of things. :)

Jenni said...

I'm reading too. I know I'm crazy but Spring and Summer are my favorite times of the year. Probably because I have never been pregnenat in the TX August heat. I much prefer the heat to being cold.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!