Monday, February 16, 2009

President's Day-Who was the Best?

I really enjoyed this evaluation of our presidents on National Review Online. In case you don't have time to look at the whole thing, here's my favorite part (it's about Grover Cleveland): "Honesty was arguably Grover Cleveland's only policy. It was the prism through which he saw the world and conducted his public life. He saw attempts to secure special favors, privileges, or subsidies from government as fundamentally immoral. In his view, taking from some and giving to others was not something an honest man in or out of government would ever do. He rejected the notion that the Treasury should be up for grabs by the mob, so he vetoed more bills than all previous presidents combined.

"Not only would Cleveland never recognize the Washington of today, he would surely expect God to either raze it or extend His deepest apologies to Sodom and Gomorrah."

That last bit cracked me up....Love it! (I know, I've become a terrible cynic...)


1 comment:

Jenni said...

Well I guess that means we are in the same cynical boat. I agree.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!