Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Still here....

Haven't had much time to write lately, but I'm still here. What to talk about? The twins turned seven on Sunday and they are madly in love with Lego Star Wars these days. Kara made them an R2D2 cake and it turned out really well (it also tasted yummy). Julie had their party at the park, so everyone had fun, there was plenty of room, the kids had a blast on the outdoor toys, and no one had too much clean up to deal with. It was fun to see Emily and Ian, along with Brian (Josh's out of town family) all here for the party. Since their dad couldn't be here, it was really wonderful of everyone else to make the effort and come. Josh and his unit will be heading to Iraq soon, so please keep him (and all of them) in your prayers.

School continues to go well. I feel a bit overwhelmed with the responsibility of being the department chair, but I'm trying to do a good job. Today there was a mixup over whether or not the sophomore classes could take their six week's test over one or two days (allowing a second day gives them more time to complete the reading and avoids having kids rush through the test). First thing this morning we were told that it all had to be finished today. Then this afternoon, after everyone had hurried through it, we hear that they can have tomorrow. I knew that some talk about giving more time was going on during the day, but no one ever gave us the official word and I certainly couldn't make that decision at my level; it had to come from further up. So, now I have some upset teachers and I feel guilty that I couldn't do more, but I really didn't have the authority to do more.....Hm....responsibility without power.....not much fun sometimes.

On another front, a parent who was upset with me a few weeks ago, now turns to me to help her kid. Apparently I said something that upset one of my students one day. As you know, I talk a lot and we discuss current events all the time in my class. Anyway, although I have no idea what I said, apparently I inadvertently upset a young lady and her mother was very unhappy. She called our dean, complaining long and loud about how I had been disrespectful toward her culture. (Schools are very multicultural these days, and really, to avoid offending anyone, you would have to limit your comments to the weather). But I digress. This mom came to open house, we talked, I apologized and explained that I would never intentionally hurt a student and I really am harmless, and I felt pretty good by the time she left. She must think I'm okay now, too, because she needed to find a teacher to help her daughter with a rather sticky problem, and guess who got the call? That would be me. Additionally, the girl was virtually silent before her mom and I talked, and now she participates in class every day. So, at least that one worked out well.

By the way, I do realize that my posts about school have to be intentionally vague--confidentiality laws prohibit and specificity at all. But, I have to admit, it is interesting every day.

As some of you know, I stand at my door and shake hands with my students as they enter. I greet them by name, we talk briefly, and, amazingly, I have almost no discipline problems. It's a bit magical what a personal touch can do. Anyway, it's funny to see students that I had last year passing me in the hall. They too often stop for a handshake--even some of the ones who were, shall we say troublesome, come by and shake my hand. Amazing.......... Teenagers are an interesting group of people.

Yea! It looks like I have enough kids signed up for next summer's Europe trip!! With six paying students, I go free!!!!! I'm thrilled. And, I have some really great kids going. We will spend two weeks, beginning June 22, in London, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, and Vienna. By the way, adults are welcome to come along, so if anyone is interested, let me know. The trip includes air fare, hotels, trains, busses, two meals a day, and entrance to some sights, all for about $3,000. Of course, if you're a shopping maniac, you can certainly spent a lot more, but all you really have to do is pay for lunch every day, a few subway tickets, and entrance to things that are not included in the tour. I'm really getting excited to go. I love, love, love to travel.

Kara is absolutely swamped with school this year- 4 AP classes, 2 preAP, plus symphony orchestra. It's a big load. She basically comes home, does homework, goes to bed, gets up, studies some more, goes to seminary, school, home, homework, repeat, repeat, repeat. Since she was officially changed from the class of 2010 to the class of 2009, though, something truly wonderful has happened. In addition to graduating a year early, she is now 4th in her new senior class, when she was 12th in the other class. (she's wondering where she can go to be first). I'm hoping this helps in the scholarship quest.

Lauren will be graduating from BYU in December and WE ARE SO PROUD OF HER!!!!!!!!! I can't believe she's all grown up.

I loved the Relief Society (church meeting for women) broadcast on Saturday. I was particularly impressed with Elder Uchdorf. (I probably got his name wrong---sorry). He talked about all of us doing creative things and I realized that even though I have no talent for needlework, I'm no solo singer, I don't play anything well (just plunk a bit on the piano), I am very creative. I create new ideas and bring new light and knowledge into the lives of my students every day. My job is endlessly creative and I love it.

And of course, I cried almost all the way through the children's presentation at church on Sunday. They sang so beautifully; their testimonies of Jesus were so sweet. It was wonderful.

Plus--church ended with a delightful discovery. An old friend, one I haven't seen in almost 30 years, has moved back into our ward. It was so neat to see him and meet his daughter. Old friends are a treasure.

Not much else to share today.......later........

5 comments:

Jenni said...

I love hearing how excited oyu are about teaching. It also gives me hope that my teeneager behaves herself at school.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I love Primary programs, and Shannon did a wonderful job with his part.
Thanks for all the help with the birthday party, I think it turned out well.

Jenny said...

you know, i totally agree about how much touch can do with your relationship with a student. when i was in chicago, they strongly advised us to avoid hugging the kids, so as to avoid any kind of issues that may come up. but i honestly feel that i would rather have issues than not hug a kid who needed it. who knows? it might be the only positive physical contact they get all day!

Lynn said...

I was thinking about you on the drive home today, but traffic was a little too intense to fire up the cell phone.

Old friends *are* best! I have known you roughly one-quarter of my life. I think that's pretty terrific!

Lauren said...

So since you get to go for free, you know you want to take me! It can be my graduation present! Think about it, wouldn't it be nice to have another adult on the trip too? :) You know you want to.

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!