Thursday, December 26, 2013

Books--I LOVE BOOKS!!!

Rather than posting on my blog (as you probably have noticed, it's been more than a year….), I read (and read and read and read). In fact, I would rather read a good book than do almost anything else. So, today I came across the following ratings system at The Gifted Guru, and I have decided that I can at least rate the books I read and share my thoughts with you….

This is Lisa's ratings system, but I am going to adopt it. Here are the parameters:

5.  Drop everything and buy this book. Go without eating dinner if you need to.  You not only need to read this, you need to own it.  No home library will be complete without this book.
4. A must-read, but check it out of the library.  Original ideas, well-written, at least some crucial knowledge.  A single read may be good enough, so borrow – don’t buy.
3. Read this if you have lots of time to read and aren’t that picky about what it is you’re reading.  May have some valuable information, but the writing is sub-standard or dry, or the information is not that valuable or unique.
2. Don’t read this. Just don’t.  Unless you know the author, it’s not worth it.
1. Not only should you not read this book, no one should read it and no one should have written it. The fact that trees died to print this book is a travesty.
Books I've been reading lately: The Skystone series by Jack Whyte--all about the Arthurian Legends--these are excellent books and I am really enjoying them. However, be warned that there are nine (9!) books in the series and once in, you gotta keep going. Right now I am on book 8 (The Lancethrower) and still enthralled with the series. I give them all 4s. 
A couple of 5's for me: Persuasion by Jane Austen, and Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. 
What are your 5s?




No comments:

About Me

I'm a happy wife, mom, daughter, sister, teacher, and friend. I love to read (and read and read and read), talk with interesting people (that's pretty much everyone), and travel. I teach high school and LOVE it!